Lady Raiders top Louisiana Monroe 83-38 for 10-0 start
LUBBOCK, Texas – Texas Tech senior Brittany Brewer recorded the program's first triple-double in 22 years on Sunday, helping push the Lady Raiders past Louisiana-Monroe, 83-38, and move to 10-0 for the first time in eight seasons.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Brewer recorded 12 points, 14 rebounds and an NCAA-record-tying 16 blocks for the first triple-double of her career and eighth in program history. Brewer's 16 blocks, not only tied the NCAA record, but shattered the previous school record for blocks, which was 10.
Three other Lady Raiders finished the day in double figure scoring, led by freshman Alexis Tucker with 18 points and six rebounds. Junior Maka Jackson also recorded a career high 16 points on the day. Lexi Gordon recorded her second double-figure game at Tech with 11 points and five boards.
Chrislyn Carr helped spark the Texas Tech offense in the first quarter, scoring six points in the period to push Tech to a 17-6 lead after one. The Lady Raiders were stout defensively from the tip, holding Louisiana-Monroe to 11.1 percent field goal shooting (2-for-18) in the first.
Texas Tech went on a 13-0 run midway through the second period to stretch its lead to 29. Jackson added six points in the frame to go along with two steals. The Lady Raiders also shot 16 free throws in the quarter, hitting 13 of their attempts.
Tech added to its lead in the third, leading by as many as 31 points and winning the quarter, 15-8. In the fourth, Brewer added four blocks and four points to lock up the triple-double and hold the Warhawks at bay.
- For the seventh time this season, Texas Tech went with the starting five of Chrislyn Carr, Jo'Nah Johnson, Sydney Goodson, Alexis Tucker and Brittany Brewer. The Lady Raiders moved to 7-0 this season when deploying this starting five.
- Brittany Brewer made history on Sunday, finishing with 12 points, 14 rebounds and 16 blocks to record the program's first triple-double in 22 years and eighth all-time. Tech's last triple-double was Rene Hanebutt against Texas on Feb. 5, 1997.
- Brewer's 16 blocks not only shattered the program single game record, but tied the NCAA record for blocks set by Sandora Irvin of TCU 14 years ago.
- Her 16 blocks also tied the former program TEAM blocks record, which also fell today as the Lady Raiders combined for 20 blocks.
- With her 16 blocks, Brewer moved into second on the school's all-time blocks list with 224 career rejections.
- Brewer also broke onto the school's single-season blocks list, ranking eighth with 62 this season.
- Junior Maka Jackson recorded a career-high 16 points on 5-of-5 field goal shooting and 6-of-6 free throw shooting.
- Tech shot 84.2 percent (32-of-38) from the free-throw line, which marked the team's highest percentage of the season from the charity stripe.
- Louisiana-Monroe shot 19.4 percent from the field, which is the lowest of any Texas Tech opponent this season.
The Lady Raiders will enjoy a quick holiday break before returning to the USA on Dec. 29 to host UTSA and wrap up nonconference play.